Got documents issued outside of the UK? How to easily legalise them

Modern life dictates that the country you grew up in isn't always the one you studied, got married or had children in. But the legalisation of these documents has to take place in the country of origin. If you're looking to move yourself or your family elsewhere but have documents issued from a number of different countries, where do you turn?

If you’ve just got a new role overseas or you’re moving abroad with family, the chances are you’ll need documents legalising to process your visa. The thing is, legalisation requirements differ massively depending on where you are, where you’re going, and what the documents are going to be used for. Legalisation can get complicated.

Let me give you an example. The submission guidelines at the UAE Embassy in Canada are different to the submission guidelines at the UAE Embassy in the UK. Same documents, same destination, but different processes because of the country they were issued in.

That might not sound too bad, but every document needs to be legalised in the country it was issued in. So, for example, if you studied at a university in Canada, you’d need to get your degree legalised in Canada. If you got married in Greece, you’d need your marriage licence legalised in Greece.

But that can cause you a headache. Imagine you’re a UK citizen who studied in Canada, got married in Greece, and now you’re wanting to move over to the UAE. You’d need to get your documents legalised before you could move to the UAE, but where do you start? You’d need to get your degree legalised in Canada, your marriage licence legalised in Greece, and you’ve probably got other documents that need to be legalised in the UK. Where do you even start?

I mean, sure. You could fly to each country individually and try sort the legalisation yourself, but that’s a lot of time and effort, not to mention how much it’d cost you in travel and accommodation. You’d still have to try figure out all the complicated processes yourself, and even one tiny little mistake could cause massive issues and delays.

attestation map uae

Full Service Countries

Partial Service Countries

It’s an issue that we’ve seen more and more of the past 5 years or so. Before Brexit and Covid, at least, people were choosing to broaden their horizons and study overseas. We’ve also seen a surge in the popularity of overseas marriages (probably something to do with the dreary weather over in the UK).

If you’ve got a wanderer’s soul; if you’ve got documents from all over the world and you need to get them all legalised, it can feel like you’ve got a mountain to climb.

Non-UK legalisation: A solution

But that’s where Vital Consular can help. Experts in document legalisation, we’ve got a unique, long established network across the whole world. Our network lets us undertake legalisation other UK-based companies can’t. Even if your documentation is issued across several different countries, Vital Consular can take care of the whole legalisation process for you – we’re the only company in the UK who can handle documents from over 150 countries, including:

– Austria
– Belgium
– Bulgaria
– Croatia
– Cyprus
– Czech Republic
– Denmark
– Finland
– France
– Germany
– Gibraltar
– Greece
– Guernsey
– Hungary
– Ireland
– Italy
– Jersey
– Lithuania
– Luxembourg
– Netherlands
– North Macedonia
– Norway
– Poland
– Portugal
– Romania
– Russian Federation
– Serbia
– Slovakia
– Slovenia
– Spain
– Sweden
– Switzerland
– Ukraine
– United Kingdom

– China
– Hong Kong
– India
– Indonesia
– Japan
– Kazakhstan
– Lebanon
– Malaysia
– Pakistan
– Philippines
– Singapore
– South Korea
– Sri Lanka
– Taiwan
– Thailand
– Turkey

– Egypt
– Kenya
– Madagascar
– Mauritius
– Nigeria
– Saint Helena
– Seychelles
– South Africa
– Sudan
– Uganda
– Zimbabwe

– Australia
– Fiji
– New Zealand

North America
– Antigua and Barbuda
– Aruba
– Bahamas
– Barbados
– Bermuda
– British Virgin Islands
– Canada
– Cayman Islands
– Dominica
– Dominican Republic
– Jamaica
– Turks and Caicos Islands
– United States

Central America
– Costa Rica
– Mexico
– Panama

South America
– Argentina
– Brazil

Middle East
– Bahrain
– Iran
– Israel
– Jordan
– Kuwait
– Oman
– Qatar
– Saudi Arabia
– United Arab Emirates

If you need documents legalising for a country that isn’t on this list, don’t worry – just get in touch with us. I haven’t covered every country we can legalise for, and the chances are we’ll still be able to help you.

With our experienced team and one-of-a-kind global network, we’re well placed to deal with all of your legalisation needs for you. You don’t need to worry about where your documents were issued, or the hoops you need to jump through to get them legalised. All you need to do is get in touch with us, and we’ll sort everything out for you.

Wherever your documents were issued, and wherever you’re planning to move to, you can get documents legalised with us. Simply visit our site and request a personalised quotation based on your requirements. You can also give us a call directly on +44 (0) 330 088 1142, send us a message via WhatsApp on mobile, or e-mail us at Our friendly team of specialists are on hand to answer all of your queries.

While you’re here, why not keep up to date with all the latest comings and goings by following us on social media?

Ashraf Vachhiat
Ashraf Vachhiat

Ashraf is the Marketing Technologist at Vital Consular, which means he handles all the technicalities involved in bringing this blog to life! He also enjoys creating in-depth articles around current affairs which impact the travel and relocation industry. In his free time, Ashraf relishes travelling as much as possible, and is always looking for quirky spots to take some great photos.

Articles: 137

Related Posts


  1. I have a document sent to me from the UK without a stamp. I need to know the procedures required to obtain document authentication electronically. I can not understand how to get by pc

    • Hi Marinela, thanks for commenting. If you require authentication via an Apostille or Consular stamp, this isn’t possible to obtain electronically. If this is a UK document the original will need to be returned to the UK for the stamp to be applied. If you need any further assistance please drop us an e-mail at and one of our team will assist you in getting this process completed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *