Document Legalisation: Relocating to Vietnam

With it’s beautiful and varied landscapes, colourful culture, friendly locals and very affordable rates of living, Vietnam continues to become a hotspot for expats. The most popular path into Vietnam is as an ESL teacher, with a high demand for applicants which only continues to rise. The expats who have established themselves in Vietnam have created demand for a variety of other job roles to support the community.

Whatever the reason you’re travelling to Vietnam, you will likely have some paperwork to deal with. Things can get complicated quickly when you’re trying to unpick processes which are new and unfamiliar to you. Our range of blog articles are designed to make things easy to understand and give you all of the essential information you need.

If you still have questions however, our friendly team of specialists are here to answer them for you. Simply use our live chat function, or use one of the methods on our Contact Us page.

Legalising documents for use in Vietnam

Teaching TEFL

Vietnam FAQs

  • Yes, Vietnam likes to have the name on any documents it legalises to match that of your official ID. If the name differs, because you are now married, divorced, changed your name for another reason or it simply omits any middle names, you will need to have a cover sheet prepared. This will attest to the fact that the documents and ID belong to the same person. Read our blog post above on the topic to find out more.
  • Your documents will need to be handled in their country of issue. If you are already in Vietnam and your documents were issued somewhere else, for example you have a UK Degree, you will need to get your documents legalised in the UK. You don’t have to personally visit the UK for this to happen however, we can handle the whole process on your behalf, saving you valuable time.

  • No, the legalisation stamps will not expire once they are applied to your documents. However, your police clearance certificate will likely need to be applied for if you haven’t been in Vietnam for a while and choose to return, as the clearance must be recently issued in order to be accepted.

  • Yes. All of the Vietnam-based TEFL schools we work with request that the TEFL certificate is legalised according to the official regulations in Vietnam. If you have been told this is not required, it’s important you check out the school or recruiter before committing to your employment.

  • If you are simply volunteering, you can visit Vietnam with a tourist visa, which can usually be obtained on-arrival for most citizenships. However, if you are being paid in any way for the work you are undertaking, you must apply for a work visa before you leave your country of residency.

  • In the majority of cases, yes. Employers will want to know that you are proficient in teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) and will also require that you hold a degree. Both documents, as well as a police clearance will need to be legalised.