Legalising Police Clearance Documents For Use Overseas

There are a variety of reasons you may be required to provide a police clearance certificate, including a new job or relocation overseas. There are more than one type of clearance available, however, and there are a few things to consider before you decide wish to apply for.

If you have previously applied for clearance in the UK, you may be familiar with a DBS check. These are available with varying levels of depth however, so be sure you know which type of DBS you’ll need. If you are apply for a position overseas, a DBS is not usually the best option. There are special types of clearances available which are better suited to being presented abroad.

To find out more read our selection of blog articles which cover the different types of checks available and which you need to apply for.

Police Clearance Types and Legalisation Processes

getting an icpc certificate

ACRO or ICPC – Which Police Clearance Certificate do you need to teach ESL overseas?

There are several types of Criminal Record Checks available for those living in the UK, which you can read about here. If you're teaching ESL overseas, which one should you apply for? Here we will look at the types of clearance certificates that are most commonly requested for these job roles and which you may be
dubai police clearance

Getting A UAE Police Clearance Certificate – The Complete Guide

If you previously lived in the United Arab Emirates and have since relocated to a new country, you will likely need to provide a UAE Police Clearance Certificate for your new residence permit or work visa. Obtaining these from overseas can be a pain, but it doesn't have to be complicated, as our Dubai team provides
police clearance qatar

Police Clearance Now Required in the State of Qatar

British Nationals applying for a Qatari residence permit, work permit, transfer of sponsorship, Ministry registration, or for any other reason will be required to provide a valid Legalised Police Clearance Certificate from the UK in order to obtain their Qatari Certificate of Good Conduct.

Police Clearance Documents FAQs

  • As DBS certificates are usually time-sensitive, it’s probable that unless it was issued recently, you may need to apply again. This is more likely to be the case if you are applying overseas. The best option would be to check with whomever you are presenting it to, but you will likely need to apply for a more recent report.
  • These checks are usually required to be recent in order to be considered valid for use. The validity of the document itself depends on it’s purpose and where you are presenting it. For example, if you are using it to apply for a visa or a work permit in another country, each destination will have its own guidelines on how recent the clearance must be in order for them to accept it. This can range from 28 days to 6 months, so it’s imperative you check beforehand and time your application correctly.
  • As with expiry times, this differs dependant on the destination country. The average is around the previous 6 years, but in order to avoid any delay or loss in finances, always check with your employer.
  • This depends on the timeframe your clearance certificates needs to cover. If for example you must show your record for the previous 6 years, but have lived in 3 countries in that time, it is likely you will need to apply for a clearance in each country to cover the time you were there.

  • It can certainly impact a work permit or residence visa being issued. This entirely depends on the charge and which country you are applying to, as some a much more lenient of certain charges than others. If you are aware of any charges on your record, contact the Embassy of the country you are travelling to beforehand to make them aware. They will be able to advise you on whether your application will be affected.

  • Not necessarily. Some countries request a clearance as standard as part of all work or residence permits, whereas some only request it if your new job requires this additional level of screening, such as in the teaching profession or the finance sector. Always check with your employer which documents you will need to present.