Getting Married Abroad – Paperwork and Processes

Getting married overseas is becoming a popular option for many couples who want guaranteed good weather, or just want a beautiful and exotic backdrop to their ceremony. Getting your documentation together can be stressful when getting wed in your home country, but dealing with foreign bureaucracy and research additional processes for your certificates can be a headache.

We’ve been dealing with the process of document legalisation since 2006, so you can be sure we’ll be able to assist in having all of your paperwork prepared correctly and ready to go in time for your wedding. We’ve put together a range of articles on the subject below, but if you still have questions or can’t find the answers you need, just get in touch with one of our specialists who will be more than happy to help.

Guides to getting married abroad

Overseas Weddings FAQs

  • This varies drastically from country to country, and even between municipalities in some cases. The usual certificates involve at least a long form birth certificate of both parties and a Certificate of No Impediment (CONI), though dependant on your circumstances, you may require additional paperwork. We always advise that you contact the individual who is planning your wedding, or is conducting the ceremony, to advise which documents you will need to have with you and how they will need to be presented.
  • Yes, though if it’s not issued to you in English or dual-language, you will need to have an official translation produced. Previously, you were able to register your overseas marriage with the UK authorities, though this was not a requirement. However, this service is no longer available.
  • In most cases, yes, though this will entirely depend on where you are getting married. Some countries require you to have your documents translated by a verified translator before they will accept them, whereas others will require you to have them translated at the Embassy directly. If you get in touch with our team and let us know your plans, we can advise you on what will be required.

  • No, it doesn’t. As long as you can provide a valid marriage certificate proving that the union is legally recognised in the country you were married in, you can get divorced elsewhere. You just need to prove you and/or your partner have a link to the country in which you wish to divorce; this would likely be that you are a citizen or official resident. Therefore, if you are British and you married a Cypriot partner in Cyprus and decided to divorce, you could file this in the UK courts as you are a UK Citizen.