Schengen Visa Application from UK – Part 2 Essential Information

The document requirements for Schengen Visa applications from the UK can be confusing, especially as each destination has their own unique guidelines as to what must be provided. Following on from last month's Introduction to Schengen Visas, we demystify this complex subject, giving you a simple and to-the-point explanation of what paperwork you must submit in order to be issued one of these travel visas.

This post is part of a series

Click the button below to navigate to different parts of this series.

In this article

schengen visa application form

The basic list of documents required for most of the countries will be listed in the article, with as much information as we can provide on each one. We recommend you take this as a guide only to give you an idea of what you need to submit, but to get a more personalised and accurate list of documents, get in touch with our friendly visa team!

Dependant on destination, this could either be an online form or an original hard copy, which needs to be completed and signed by the applicant. The general questions are similar, though certain countries will have additional questions so it’s important you use the correct form to avoid missing anything important. This could result in a delayed or rejected application.

Include as much information as possible on your form, including your travel itinerary. You will need to supply proof of your travel dates and arrangements, and ensure your itinerary listed on your application form matches the supporting documents you will be required to provide, as detailed below.

schengen visa passport

You must have a valid passport to apply for a Schengen visa, meeting the following requirements:

  • Have at least two blank pages
  • Be valid for at least 90 days beyond the date you leave the Schengen Area
  • Be issued within the last 10 years on the date you leave the Schengen Area

If you have been issued any Schengen visas within the past 2 years, you will also be required to provide photocopies of these to support your application. If you have any travel document other than a standard UK passport, please get in touch with us so we can evaluate your personal requirements.


To apply for a Schengen visa from the UK, you will be required to supply a photocopy of this document. The permit must be valid for at least three more months after your departure from the Schengen Area. If this condition is not fulfilled, the Consulate where you lodge your Schengen visa application will reject your application immediately.

If you hold a residence permit from another country, you cannot apply for a Schengen Visa from the UK. You must get in touch with the Embassy of the country you wish to visit, in the country in which you are a resident.

passport photo

If you are applying via a physical form, the photos will need to be attached to the form itself. If this is an online form a digital upload will be sufficient. Please ensure that your photo meets the following criteria:

  • Two identical photos, no older than six months.
  • Photo size: 35x45mm.
  • Must be a colour photo.
  • Plain brightly coloured background.
  • The applicant should face the camera directly.
  • Neutral facial expression.
  • Avoid uniforms and wearing clothes similar to the background colour.
schengen visa application form

Proof of current occupation:

  • Employed – Letter from employer and pay slips (period covered is dependant on destination country)
  • Student – Letter from school/collect/university
  • Self-employed – self-employed letter from accountant, solicitor, bank manager and Certificate of Incorporation
  • Unemployed/retired – letter from local Jobcentre or Pension Service
  • Housewife/man – would need to be sponsored by spouse, and must provide their spouse’s passport, marriage certificate, proof of occupation, proof of funds, and a cover letter confirming sponsorship.

Proof of funds. This illustrates that you are financially able to support yourself whist you are in the destination country. You must provide:

  •  3 month bank statements (may be longer dependant on circumstances)

You must provide your travel arrangement booking, with the dates matching that of your application. If you are visiting more than one destination, each flight or other travel arrangement must be provided.

A hotel or similar accommodation must be proved via booking form. If you are staying with relatives or have other arrangements, an invitation letter can be provided but must state explicitly the dates you will be staying, the address where you will be and your relationship to the person who is hosting you.

Travel Insurance is a must when completing a Schengen Visa application from the UK. This must be valid for the duration of your trip.

How do I ensure all of my documents meet the requirements?

If you’re worried about your application being accepted first time, we can help. We look at your specific circumstances and provide all application forms and document lists tailored to your needs. Our friendly team of visa specialists will talk you through the whole process, to ensure your application is submitted correctly, first time.

The guidance above relates to a tourist travel visa only. If you are travelling for business, or would like to apply for a family visa, the information will differ slightly, so it’s important you check the correct visa type before you apply.

Read part 1 to read which citizenships can apply for the Schengen visa.

Read part 3 here to find out about how to get your Schengen Visa appointment.

Get in touch for any Schengen Visa queries

Look out for the next in our Schengen Visa series in the coming weeks. In the meantime, if you do need a Schengen visa and you are based in the UK, we can help. Get in touch with our friendly visa specialists by visiting our site and request a personalised quotation based on your requirements. You can also give us a call directly on +44 (0) 330 088 1142 (option 3), send us a text message via WhatsApp, use our live chat system, or e-mail us at

Default image
Katie Edwards
Katie is one of our visa specialists at Vital Consular. She has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the visa process for multiple different countries, and can guide you through the complexities to make sure you get the right visa for your circumstances. In her spare time, she enjoys long walks, as well as baking and playing plenty of Dungeons & Dragons campaigns with her husband Myke.
Articles: 5

Leave a Reply