Police Clearance Certificates Required for UAE Work Visa
The requirement for Good Conduct Certificates is currently postponed. Read our update here.
Official UAE news agency WAM reported this month that the UAE Coordination Committee approved a Cabinet Resolution issued in 2017, stipulating that from the 4th February 2018 expatriates who apply for work visa in the UAE must first obtain a certificate of good conduct. These are issued by the authorities of each country where they have lived for the past five years.
Detailed information has yet to be published by the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE), however this is what we understand at the moment:
What we know:
- Applicants applying for a Work Visa (new applications and renewals) will additionally be required to submit a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’ certificate
- The change comes into force on Sunday 4th February 2018
- Certificates must be obtained from each country that the applicant has lived in for the past 5 years
- Each certificate must have been attested in its country of issue as well as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the UAE prior to submission
- The requirement is only for Work Visa applications and is not required for Residence Visas for sponsored family members
What we don’t know:
- No guidance has been provided to state whether the documents need to be translated into Arabic prior to submission
What is a Certificate of Good Conduct?
Whilst the UAE authorities will refer to a Certificate of Good Conduct, this document is known by many other names around the world. In essence, it is a document that confirms that there is no record of a criminal history.
United Kingdom Process
In the UK, there are two documents that a citizen could obtain dependent upon where they have lived:
- ACRO Certificates are issued for residents in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
- Disclosure Scotland Certificates are issued for residents in Scotland
Once either certificate has been issued, it must be attested before use in the UAE.
Vital Certificates can assist with the attestation of Good Conduct Certificates from most countries around the world. Please contact us for an individual quotation.